Oranges must be one of my most favorite fruits. They are very juicy, taste great, and go well with a lot of different juicer recipes. And nothing tastes better than a nice glass of freshly squeezed orange juice in the morning.
A lot of orange juice you find at your grocery store are made from concentrate and packed with preservatives. Processed orange juice can lose some of its nutritional value when it’s made. Oranges are not expensive fruits, so you certainly won’t have to break the bank to juice oranges. You could even save some money just using some of your own juicer recipes.
Oranges are best known for being an excellent source of vitamin C. This vitamin is very important for your body’s immune system. It is also an antioxidant which fights against free radicals in the body responsible for cancer, cardiovascular disease, and several other ailments. There is also a variety of phytonutrients (mostly in the rind) that also fight against ailments such as high blood pressure.
A citrus juicer is all you’ll need to start juicing oranges. It can extract much of the juice for a hearty glass of orange juice, or to be used in other drinks. For juicer recipes that use non-citrus fruits, or if you want to be able to juice the rind as well, you will need to upgrade to either a centrifugal juicer or and auger juicer. The outside of the orange can’t be eaten (the orange zest), so either grate away the zest, or peel it off, leaving as much white pith as possible.
Try out some of these Orange Juice Recipes:
Simply Orange Juice
- 2-3 oranges
- For citrus juicers, cut into halves and juice
- For centrifugal/auger juicers, grate away the zest (or just remove the peel completely).
- Remove seeds before juicing.
Orange Carrot Juice
- 2 oranges
- 4 carrots
- 1 red pepper
Orange Ginger Ale
- 3 oranges
- ½ inch fresh ginger root (the amount you use is more about preference)
- Seltzer or sprite
- Juice oranges, then ginger. Add seltzer or sprite to juice afterwards.
Fruity Delight Juicer Recipes
- 2 oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- A handful of strawberries (about 5-6)
- 1 banana — adding a banana tastes really good, but soft fruits like bananas can’t be juiced. If you want to add banana, you will have to juice the other ingredients, then put it in a blender with the bananas. It tastes great, but you may find it to be not worth the trouble.